Thursday, February 7, 2013

National Fettuccine Alfredo Day

Fettuccine Alfredo by Lindsay
So I hardly ever make my own recipes. I love using cookbooks. They are easy to follow, no guessing, and makes grocery lists a snap. But once in a blue moon, I take my cooking skills and throw my own recipe together. I'm no Tom Kalb (and if you don't know who that is, don't worry, you will someday) but sometimes everything goes just right and I make a masterpiece. Today was National Fettuccine Alfredo Day, and even though I have 3 bottles of Alfredo sauce in the pantry, I wanted to make an homemade sauce. So after looking through some recipes and seeing what I had on hand I came up with this:

Fettuccine Alfredo

* 1 tbsp butter
* 6 oz of uncooked fettuccine noodles
* 1 cup skim milk
* 4 oz fat free cream cheese, at room temp and cubed
* 4 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
* 3 laughing cow cheese wedges, at room temp and cut up to small pieces
* 5 oz cooked shredded chicken
* 1 cup bell peppers

1. Make fettuccine noodles according to directions on package.
2. While noodles cook, mix skim milk, cheeses, and butter in small pot on the stove. When they have started to heat up, whisk together. Keep whisk every so often to break up cheese lumps.
3. Cut up bell peppers into strips.
4. After noodles are done, drain. Do not put them back in the pot yet.
5. In the large pot, mix bell peppers and chicken, and then add your noodles. Then pour on your sauce when it is free of any lumps and nice and creamy.
6. Mix all together to get sauce all mixed around. Then serve and enjoy.

Makes 4 servings.
8 PointsPlus per serving

No comments:

Post a Comment